Thursday, January 6, 2011

the pathetic little bird of wisdom...

Some things I contend to doing this year is to get back into running, spend more quality time with the husband, remember to bath regularly, get a pet turtle, become more content and read one inspiring book monthly - aiding in challenging my leadership skills, sharpening my relationship with God and my all around character...  obviously a few of these are jokes...probably not the 'obvious' ones.
January's book of choice "Chazown" by Craig Groeschel. Good and necessary 
read. Craig shares many stories, one of which has stuck with me the most...
One day a bird was flying south for the winter and got caught in a 
snowstorm. As snow landed on his tiny wings, it melted slightly, the quickly 
froze, causing the bird to fall to the ground. 
As he sat helpless and shivering, encased in ice, the bird thought to 
himself (to be spoken in a little bird voice), this is the end
To make matters worse, a cow wandered toward the freezing bird and
wouldn’t you know it? - deposited a stinking pile of manure on top of the bird. 
(There’s a point, hang with me). 
The bird panicked, horrified at the thought that he was going to freeze to death, covered in manure. But slowly, the warmth of the manure caused the bird to thaw out. He fluttered his newly freed wings and began to chirp with joy!
“Chirp! Chirp! Chirp! Chirp!” he sang.
That’s when a cat, drawn by the chirping, ran over, dug out the bird...and ate him. 
You see, this story of courage and calamity teaches us three very important lessons. Hope you didn’t miss them:
  1. Not everyone who drops manure on you is your enemy. 
  2. Not everyone who digs you out of manure is your friend. 
  3. When you are in manure, keep your mouth shut. 
Today I read Psalm 4:4 (this year I also have resolved to read the entire bible..)
“Tremble and do not sin; when you are on your beds, search your heart and be silent.”
I find this fitting in supporting the little birdie story. Very often I can find 
myself wanting everyone to know where I stand, and how bad I’m hurting with 
life and all it throws at me. I can find myself with a victim mentality..asking God 'why can't I have that! Aren't you the one who promises the desires of my heart!?! We want a baby!'...and not just a baby for the sake of those cute chubby roles and the ridiculously small outfits that make your heart burst..but because we want a family...to raise up children, to love and create insane memories with...'
Yet in all of this I have chosen to make a conscious effort
to ‘search my heart and be silent.’ To trust God and to move forward courageously.
I'm anticipating 2011.

 To make sure I site my work: “Chazown” by Craig Groeshel; pg. 57-58  & New International Version, Psalm 4:4.

No comments:

Post a Comment