Sunday, May 6, 2012

I want the kind of faith that looks Jesus in the eyes...


My current read is revised 10th anniversary addition of 'The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership' by John C. Maxwell. My father in law, Dan, gave it to me as a christmas present last year. I've read it before, but in light of this new season I'm in it just seemed right to revisit. 

I've journeyed upon the sixth chapter, and found the timely 'Law of Solid Ground'. Timely considering my study on 'being trustworthy and having integrity' for my life group as well as the ever constant reminder from the Holy Spirit that I need to have more quality integrity and be a woman people and my husband can trust. 

I found this gem by J. R. Miller in this chapter that I want to share with you. "The only thing that walks back from the tomb with the mourners and refuses to be buried is the character of a man. This is true. What a man is, survives him. It can never be buried." 

I found this convicting and beautifully challenging. It doesn't just talk about good character, it talks about character...the good, the bad and the ugly. 

A few years ago God placed me at a cosmetology school to attend and eventually teach. The first day of class I met this young lady a couple years older than me who would eventually make a strong indention on my life. We started full-time together and coincidently graduate on the same day. We both went on to instruct together. This woman had traveled with YWAM (Youth With A Mission) and was undeniably a leader. She had integrity and expected it from others, she read people through a lens of desiring to better them and the woman loved with such tenderness, it convicted even the greatest skeptic. She said so many profound, soul shaking things to me and refreshed me in a way no other person, other than Jesus, could. One of the greatest things she ever said to me - though it was about something minute, small in matter - she stated that she wanted to "leave a legacy, something that any person could pick up and follow." This woman whether in her lesson planning, class teaching or life living...she left a legacy. She left traces of her love on the people she encountered. 

Though she has moved away, she still checks in on me, shaping me on the phone and faithfully praying for me as if she was praying for herself. I'm impressed by her selflessness and her sacrificial commitment to integrity. She has a beautiful faith - that I only dream to have in my own personal and unique way. 

I want to leave a legacy.  

The life group I'm leading was given the assignment to write their own "Habakkuk 2:2-3" - to write plainly their requests to the LORD, believing He will honor it and praising His answer before its given. It doesn't just include our deepest desires, but our requests to know His will for us and to lead a life the represents God well. 

"Then the Lord said to me, “Write my answer plainly on tablets, so that a runner can carry the correct message to others.This vision is for a future time. It describes the end, and it will be fulfilled. If it seems slow in coming, wait patiently, for it will surely take place. It will not be delayed." 

As a group, the last life group meeting, those who are comfortable can share theirs and we will pray over their dreams. As I've been developing mine, I seek God privately to insure that the things are His dreams and His timing. He knows me best so I believe it's more emotionally safe if I just go to Him. 

"In that day you will no longer ask me anything. Very truly I tell you, my Father will give you whatever you ask in my name." - John 16:23

So I'd like to share with you some of my plain petition to God. 

..."I want the kind of faith that can look Jesus in the eye, like Peter. But straight in the eye, like you call me, Jamie to do. That kind that can look at You and walk on water. Lord I no longer am satisfied in the kind that take my eyes off of You and sinks. But... if I have the later...may I possess the kind of the faith to reach back up to You the moment I begin to sink. I desire the right measure of boldness, that is marinated in humility. The kind of faith brings the right amount of honor and glory to Jesus.

...Jesus I want the kind of faith that looks you square in the eye. That doesn't blink or begin to look where I'm stepping, but looks you in the eye, as a bride who remains steadfast to her groom as she walks to Him on her wedding day. I want to look you straight in the eye, as I perform miracles by the direction of your Holy Spirit, that those who see me do them - don't see me at all but rather the one I'm staring at..the one actually doing them.

I want the kind of faith that looks right into Jesus' eyes...right into Jesus' heart."


May that be the legacy I leave this life He gave me. What legacy will preceed your last heartbeat or the burial of your body? The enemy may take our bodies - but he may never take our souls!

No comments:

Post a Comment