Tuesday, August 28, 2012

TantumTuesdays: Current Read "Adopted for Life"

Thanks to help from a friend - we discovered the definition of "tantum" - it is a noun that appears only in the plural and does not have a singular. Which is rather perfect due to designating this day to cooking, the current book I'm reading or recommended blog to follow or suggested thing I can't live without. 

Tuesday was going to be for food only - however I've only recently been developing my cooking skills and even more recently become interested in doing so. I'm a baker of all things sweets - cooking however is a foreign language. Our family speaks the language of take-out and frozen custard. With all that said - I had to share Tuesdays with other things I can develope more of. 

So I call Tuesdays - TantumTuesdays.

Now knowing about my interest in cooking, it come as no surprise that today I'm gonna talk about my current & recommended read...and not the current dish I've made. Maybe next Tuesday..
...maybe.



For those of you who know me this should come as no surprise. However, it is very practical and relevant to us all. 

I have to read this book very slowly. It's so deep. Extremely weighty. And it has much spiritual significance. 

I set it down, only to come back to it a few weeks, or even months later. 

The current chapter has left me a bit baffled and even more eager to share its weighty truth. So I will attempt do so now...in a short synapsis.

The book began to mention Joseph. You know the guy that married the virgin Mary not the Jacob's son who was sold to Potiphar only to work for the Pharoah. Joseph - Mary's groom - doesn't get much publicity in scriptures. Apart from marrying her, chaperoning her Bethlehem to give birth, and going back the temple with Mary to find the young Jesus at the temple - He seemed from our swift reading to be an obedient follower of God and a typical bible character. However his role is very significant to our view of the orphan (James 1:27) & our role as a father to his children (God's relationship with us and our roles as parents, especially the role of a father). But most importantly his role in Jesus' life and it's direct effect to our very souls and eternity. 

I'll keep this brief. God, in the old testament promised a king, a savior to the line of David. The virgin Mary was NOT in David's lineage. Joseph was. When Joseph adopted Jesus as his very own - though not biologically - God honored it as a very real adoption into the blood lineage of David. For if God doesn't see adoption as important nor valuable Jesus would not be considered the true Saviour of the world - and we would not be able to access the salvation given by the cross and the beautiful adoption of God. 

Weighty. 

And so good. When I read the very detailed version to Ben (which I encourage you too to read)...I believe he became even more proud of his relationship with Pax. Ben is undeniably Pax's father. Pax is Ben's heir - his first born - and Pax lacks nothing in relation to being Ben's son. I believe the spiritual significance to Ben at that moment was reinstated. 

It was beautiful. 

It is beautiful.

This book is intense about the realness, the need, the beauty of...

... adoption. 

"If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you." - James 1:5 

It's important that we are always seeking God - educating ourselves on what is important to Him. That we may truly know His intricate, intentional, authentic will for our lives. 

Adoption - whether you adopt or not - you are adopted and to truly understand this and be wise in it will give you another understanding in the love of God - our Father. You will find it will empower you and give you courage. 

"They are the people of Israel, chosen to be God’s adopted children. God revealed his glory to them. He made covenants with them and gave them his law. He gave them the privilege of worshiping him and receiving his wonderful promises." - Romans 9:4

No comments:

Post a Comment