Friday, August 31, 2012

TheoThursday: Not to me but for you.

I never really made time yesterday..oh with working from 9-6 and then going on a sponatenous family date night and getting in at 11..to write my blog. So I'm writing 2 today. Which will be great because I always have lots to say.

TheoThursdays: One to another.

"Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and produces wonderful results." - James 5:16

Don't you just get so wrapped up in what's in front of you?

As if every thing seems to find a way to go wrong, break or do the exactly opposite of what you have planned.

Our family feels the acquainted urge to move to Africa. We had set our minds, our hopes and all our plans on being gone by May, which turned to August, which evolved into January of next year...to now were saying maybe January 2014...or 2020. I joke.

In the midst of feeling like God had forgotten us. We experienced job loss, another month of not getting pregnant, our son being sick with one thing and then another and our house not selling and falling apart even more (the joys of home ownership).

My neverending focus was that I was forgotten. Me, my, us, our, we, and I. I would plea and fast and plea some more.

But then one loving, unexpected, tender, real moment of being still and shutting my mouth. God said "others"... James 1:27

Within days what seemed to have fully vanquished from my mind was now returning. The vision I had lost and the promises I remembered that were spoken became clear. My heart was being broke not for my circumstances...but the circumstances of those around me. The brokeness, the worry, the fear, the loneliness.

At first it was hard (I sound so selfish - because if I'm honest I am)...I would pray a little prayer for my friends' needs or the needs of our church. Then throw in a couple of requests from yours truly - and staying on me and my needs for a while only to very briefly re-route to the hurting and broken (selfish, I know) ... I just genuinely felt like God would forget about me (okay I get it I'm selfish).

As this journey has continued in the last few weeks - His presence, his nearness has been irrefutable. This time of intercession and advocating for others has compelled me, empowered me, convicted me and more interesting defined my own perspective of my Lord's character. Funny how the closer someone is to you the more you truly know them...weird.

In Matthew 6 (mainly focused on verses 24-34) Jesus is talking about money and possessions. We all want to make a good income and possess things - and money allows us the opportunity to possess things, to possess dreams and to possess peace of mind.

Jesus talks about the division and inner battle we inherit if we serve two masters. God has heired you as his. He has bought you and will as well as must take care of you, it's in His character. He never forgets, knows everything and loves abundantly. When we truly serve God we waiver the right to have a say on what's right or wrong for us. Harsh, but truth. God knows best. God is in control and God manufactured me to be me and you to be you. He grafted us authentically - therefore He knows full well what we need more than we do.

He says do not worry about tomorrow for tomorrow will bring it's own set of troubles. Today's troubles are enough. God created us to take on one day at a time. However He gives us the Holy Spirit to give us disciple and wisdom to plan for the next day (but we aren't commanded to do it in worry but rather in wisdom.)

One. Day. At. A. Time.

Even in the prayer Jesus modeled for his disciples earlier in Chapter 6 of Matthew (verses 9-15). He states: ‘Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come,your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today our daily bread."

If Jesus says that's how you pray then I should be wise to heed. His life was fruitful and He lived well - and I want the same thing for my life and the life of my children. He, the Son of God, Prayed that God's will be done, His kingdom come. Then he asked for his bread...only after advocating for God's Kingdom. 

So I pray. Intentionally, authentically for the needs of others. Causing me to walk obediently and faithfully, one day at a time. 

Keeps me sane. Gives me joy unspeakable. And "Produces wonderful results" (James 5:16).

One day at a time. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment